Sunday, March 14, 2010

Time to remove zip ties

After letting the micro filet cured, I carefully removed all zip ties. The hull was holding together only by the tiny fillet... but looked good.
I apply a larger filet over the already cured small one and proceed taping while the larger filet was still wet. Since I could not find tape of the right dimension here in Turkey, I ended up cutting the tapes from the large roll of fiberglass cloth I purchased. However, in order to avoid the mess of loose fiber strings gluing allover, I used masking tape on all sides of the fiber tape I was cutting and laminated the whole thing with masking tape (facing down) and all (firstpicture)
When the resin started curing and reach green stage, I trimmed the masking tape off with a wheel cutter. Clean result, no mess at all. (second picture)



And by the way, I laminated it all from outside of the hull...! Let me tell you from personal experience that you better have a solid lower back if you want to work for long periods of time in such an ackward position.



After the side panels tape was cured, I proceed with the middle hull seam. I admit that I ended up laying down inside the hull to finish off that seam. No way I could reach it from the outside of the hull.
The end result, however, was pretty clean, no excess resin.

No comments:

Post a Comment