Sunday, March 14, 2010

How to do a clean taping without any help

Here is a little trick that might help some builders.
To obtain better results for taping the sides to the bottom panels, I used a single 5,50m long tape. As mentionned in an earlier post, I cut this tape from a larger roll of fiberglass.
So the first trick is , before you cut the tape out of the roll, lay down masking tape and then cut on top of the masking tape. This will allow for a clean cut without loose fiber cloth strings.

Leave the masking tape on and laminate with it facing DOWN. You will get a very clean lamination, no fibers wandering around or stricking to your gloves which can actually end up being a real nightmare.
Just do not forget to trim it off once the resin has startd hardening but is not completely cured. Kind of halway trough.(green stage)



The second trick is if you are working alone on your boat, which is my case 100% of the time, roll your cutted taped on anything handy and use this support with your rolled tape to laminate your hull seams.



Just unroll it progressively as you are laminating your hull.
In my case , I used a simple cheap tube of insulation foam which was leftover on my floor garage.
This technique helped me tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment