Sunday, March 14, 2010

Marking frames location on hull bottom

The first thing I did was to draw a line at the exact center of my bottom hull panel, running from bow to transom. Actually this had been done previously and was mandatory for frame placement.

Then, using a dark colored marker, I carefully marked the string I had running from the top of the bow to the transom at the exact frame location.

Finally, I simply used a another smaller piece of string with a fishing weight attached to it (it is called a plumb) and let it hang from each mark I had previously made on the main fwd-aft string. I marked the place where the weight was hanging on the hull bottom and then drew a perpendicular line to the center line on the hull.


The result was a clear and precise mark for all of my frame placement. And yes, I will not lie, I got inside my hull to draw all frames locations.....It did not complain nor did it make any unpleasant noise.... Good.



Then I proceeded and placed frame 0018 on its line drawn on the hull as previously described. İ made sure it was straight with my plumb and double checked that the distance was the same from each upper corner of the frame to the middle of the bow piece.
Once everything was good, I zip tied it and used the same micro filet I had done before for my hull panels.



No big issue exept for the notches at the top of the frame to accomodate the newly installed sheer clamp.
As soon as the micro filet cure, I will cut off the zip ties, lay down another larger filet and tape alltogether.
I am really happy to start have reached the point of placing the frames. I know it is a delicate fase and very important for hull symetry and bottom shape (convex from bow to stern and forward V).



I believe I will be more relaxed after finishing that important step of the building process. Then it is all reinforcement and closing.......There is however a long road before I get there.



No comments:

Post a Comment