Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Frankenstein Junior

That post is for Peter Ross and Ben. It is also for Tim who shared his thoughts on that with me.


That is what I used to reduce the gaps at F53.5 which was definitely the biggest out of all frames. The cable outside of the hull is wrapped around a 30 cm wooden stick that progressively pushes the sides towards the frame as you crank that middle piece.










It worked really well and allowed me to close a good part of the existing gap in a pretty uniform and symmetrical matter, without creating any hollow on the outside part of the hull sides.





It still left me however with a significant gap which I will "twin" later on......

But know that I think about it, I could give it a technical twist and "twin it" with some kevlar cloth I have instead of using plywood strips..... Hum.....not a bad idea. Should be just as strong.



On the pictures below you can see the gap filled with epoxy/silica putty. I used masking tape on one side and "filled" the gap from the other side. As I am not leaving the zip ties in the fillet, I have also placed a few very small patches of fiber glass to hold the frame to the hull.
Once this filler cures, I will aplly a neat micro fillet, let it cure, than remove all ties, apply regular fillet and tape on fresh filet.

I have applied this technique for the hull and it gave me very good results with no need to sand.




2 comments:

  1. Tickled to see such a nice product!!! I am laying low for a week (familygetting some spring skiing in) as I needed to back off for a bit. Your blog is just what I needed.
    Again, GREAT WORK!!
    Thanks,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben, you ve been quiet indeed in the last few days. I ve been checking your blog regularly for any updates. İ will myself take the next weekend off for family skiing. Building is awesome, blogging is also great. İt somehow wraps up the building process as you mentally go over the whole thing again once more.

    ReplyDelete