Monday, February 8, 2010

the templates




So I ordered the Tyvex templates from Tim and I guess that was a great decision for a first time builder since allow one to skeep all the loafting time. However, you still need to use them correctly correctly since some of them are tricky to lay down perfectly flat and free of wrinkles. I have tried all methods of double face tape, pins, paint spray, no paint spray....until I found what I believe is the best solution : sprayable restickable glue ! Spray the edges of your template all around and you end up with a giant post-it that you can glue over and over. Works great !

Larger templates are easy to use while smaller ones are harder. The transom, for instance, gave me the hardest time. Since it is thin,long, and has lots of angles, pulling too much on one side will give you sigificant distortion on the other side. So a simple advice : work diagonals and be patient until it is laying perfectly flat and make sure the borders are tighly glued (using whatever method) onto the plywood. This will give you perfect straight lines after spraying.

No comments:

Post a Comment