Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Gucci way of fileting...

Before I went on with epoxing the hull, I made sure that it was symmetrical. I used all methods available, such as the one described in the manual but also the Beckwith String Method (thanks George for reminding me this one), and a little laser Gizmo from Bosch. If you check the picture below, you will see a red line across the lenght of the boat. That is the lazer gizmo. Cannot beat it for accuracy. That is a straight line all the way the stem no matter what.
,

I read a lot about which sequences others builders follow for fileting: leave the zip ties in, take them out, filet first and then tape or filet and tape all together,....and the list of options go on.
I asked Ben about his method and then shared my thoughts with Tim who ended up suggesting me a very time taking but great alternative. Let's call it the Micro filets. It is based on the facts that:
-you should not leave your zip ties while fileting
-you get a cleaner results if you filet and tape all together.

So basically what I did was laydown an initial small radius filet in between all of the zip ties.

That was a lot of work ! And of course I did it all from outside the hull,not a foot on. I just worked from the outside bent over the boat sides, extendind my arms to reach what needed to be fileted.
Ben dude, if you are reading me, yes I guess anyone can do it but it sure would have helped me to have really long arms or measure way more that 6.1' !!!
If the shine seams were hard to reach , the middle seam was a real challenge ! In fact for the midle seam I used one of those aluminium magical stairs that you can fold in a zillion positions, placed it across of the boat hull and laminated the seam from above. A killer, but it worked fine.
So after I had the micro filet cured overnight, the plan was to remove all zip ties , laydown another larger radius filet on top of the micro one, and then finally taped the whole thing.
Unfortunately, before my back gave up on me for working so long in such akwards positions, I could only manage to do that for the transom.
By noon today I was walking like an old man, bent forward, unable to straighten up, so instead of finishing fileting and taping the hull I ended up going to the hospital to get a shot and some well deserved imediate relief...aaaahhhhhhh !....And the best thing is that the transom looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment