Monday, September 13, 2010

Plug is off the mold

I am stoked today !
I figured it was about time to try to remove the plugs from the molds and I was a little worried about it. My idea was to 'try' to remove the plugs without damaging them.
So I stopped at a hardware store and bought a couple of spatulas and grinding stones which I believed could be usefull to remove any excess plaster on the sides and free the plugs.

While looking at the rayons (I am like a kid in a candy store !) I saw this neat little tool which kind of looks like a cross between a hammer and a cutting knife. I had never seen one of these nor did I know what this thing was for. But it looked pretty perfect for the job, and it was not expensive. So I bought it.
I started scratching the excess plaster around the edge of the plug and in about two minutes and without any effort the plug came out !





And the mold looks awesome. It is really smooth. No gaps, no nothing, no fairing needed whatsoever. The plug it self does not have one single scratch. It just popped right out and can definitly be re-used many more times, if needed.




I guess laminating the plugs with a layer of fiberglass just to give the pink foam added rigidity AND wrapping them in one single thin layer of saran wrap before plunging them into the wet mortar, was a good idea.
One other thing I did which might have helped is I mixed the mortar / plaster (whatever it is) to a very smooth and pretty "wet" consistency.
It reminded me of the games I play with my daughters while at the beach, staying right on the beach shorebreak and letting our feet slowly sink into the sand everytime a wave passes by. I did the same while pushing the plug inside the mortar. I took my time and used little vibrating movements so the plug would kind of sink by itself. I hope you get the picture.
It worked out perfectly so I am very happy about it. I am also glad I found that little tool which you can see on the picture above. I now understand its main purpose is to remove ceramic tiles but it sure works perfectly for removing foam plugs from mortar molds !


2 comments:

  1. Hi, the tool is called a 5-in-one tool, or a painter's tool. the blade is used to scrape, the square end is for opening paint cans, and the point is used to clean dried paint out of the grooves in the paint can where the lid goes. The curved side is used to scrape excess paint off the paint roller, and the butt of the handle is used to tap down the can lid when you close it. Good job on the mold! don't do like I did, and forget to leave room for the keel blade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Slowespoke, thanks for the correct info ! İt really goes to proof that a complete ignorant such as myself can build the boat without any trouble ! Living and learning. İ really do enjoy this learning experience. İt has opened my eyes to many other possible challenges.
    İ guess İ ll start using the 5-in-one tool pretty soon , and for what it is intended, as painting is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete