Sunday, September 26, 2010

The BB's rounded edge cockpit method



And that BB stands for "Ben'sBooger". Check it out at bensbooger.blogspot.com and scroll to "Happy cinco de Mayo".


All credits go to him since I just followed on his footsteps and did pretty much the same thing. I really thought about how to do it differently but could not come out with a better approach. Unless one decides to go for the wondefull "curvaceous sisters" of TFord boat (www.nbayracing.com/i550Build.htm) , but that was too much for me. For instance, using zipties to attach the foam to the upper and side panels is probably the best method there is.


The few differences worth noting:

-I used Airex foam. It is a great product used in a lot of composite lamination such as in kiteboards. The stuff is rock hard and tough to grind.

-I shaped the curves with my hand file and nothing else. It worked perfectly on that high density Airex. The orbital planner, if not used carefully, tends to take all the curve out.

-I tabed fromn underneath the foam but my cockpit floor was not in yet so I had plenty of space to work.....Well, actually not that much mainly towards the transom, but nothing claustrophobic.



Opportunities for improvement (for my next i550 !)

1-I cut my strips straight. But of course they should have been curved to follow the top deck panel curve. I just got lucky that the foam took quite a lot of bending without much effort.

2-The first side came out almost perfect. I got cocky on the second side and thought I already knew what I was doing. The result is not too bad but definitly not as good as the first one. Patience is a virtue, and I keep on repeating this to myself. So no need to rush, take your time to shape that foam. It is fun.

Next steps to finish off the monoblock cockpit job :
-laminate a strip of fiber on top of foam. I feel like reinforcing this area before I flip the whole thing. Right now it is only holding by the underneath tabs, rather large ones I should add, but tabs nevertheless.
-unscrew panels, flip and laminate underside of foam . I will most likely use kevlar once more to give more rigidity to the foam part since long segments between frames will actually be unsupported.

-place floor, place sides back in, laminate whole cockpit as monoblock.

-flip once more to laminate the join cockpit floor to sides.
There are added steps to my process but it allows me to work in a quite comfortable manner. The end result should be strong and not necessarily heavier than a normal cockpit since the foam replaced some heavier wood.


Pictures = Halfway through on left and finished curve on right and below









2 comments:

  1. http://i550knotracing.blogspot.com/2010/04/random-small-progress.html

    Doesn't April still come before May in Turkey? -just messing with ya! Ben got his finished before me, so he gets credit for that. You guys are both making huge progress, it's fun to see.

    Why do the cockpit sides stop short of the cabin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops !!!!! İ am so sorry Chad but Ben posted so much on his foam sides that I really thought his was the process owner.... Ok, corrections made all copyrights go to you ! No questions asked. Thanks for pointing that out which you should not had to because I read your blog a lot !
    You are correct and my sides are actually short of the cabin but that is just because I did have time to finish off the segment between f110 and 124 (i am building the long cockpit) I should have waited to glue all wood together and then do the foam curve but İ could not resist shaping that foam on Saturday....İ will do the missing bits this week. Will be fun to match to the rest...Thanks West for the fairing filler !

    ReplyDelete