Saturday, January 15, 2011

Compression post and mast foot base

The compression post I am using comes from a broken hanglider I have around. The tube is doubled and made from aeronautical grade aluminium. Pretty light and bomb proof.




On both ends of this tube I have welded a plate wich will be bolted to the compression post reinforcement blocks I have epoxied at the bottom and top of F 89.




I also left about 1,5cm of tube sticking out bellow the plates because I wanted to rout a thin circular channel on the reinforcement blocks, top and bottom, into which the 1,5cm tube would fit.



The idea was good but now that I have the actual tube with the plates, I dry tested the concept and found out that I have not enough space inside the cabin to properly position the tube as I intended. I guess I will cut this tube flush to the plate and will not rout anything !


Anyways, with or without that tube sticking past the plates, the top plate will match the holes of the mast base. Therefore, I intend to have 4 single long bolts holding the mast base through the cabin top, through the compression pole reinforcement blocks, and finally through the compression post plates. The whole assembly should come out solid.


Talking of which, here is a picture of the mast base I will use on my boat. I have to admit that I did not do it (I wish !) . The part was built by a great guy, boat builder, mast rigger, sail expert I finally got to meet here in Turkey. Home base for me for all the technical / metal parts I was wondering how to do !


It is a great looking piece of heavy duty stainless steel and it pivots to fold the mast down which will come in handy for transportation. The mast section I will use is the best profile I could find down here. A bit larger and heavier than the Aussies alu rig or the Americans carbon wonders I reckon.

Mast base as seen on another boat :

3 comments:

  1. Seriously sexy parts Jerome, go you good thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. I do like these shiny parts.
    What is the weight? And what mast did you find to suit your boat on this side of the ocean?

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shazza, always cheering me up with nice comments....Thanks buddy ! Jan, the mast base part weighs in at 2,48 Kgs. İt is really sturdy, made from 4mm-5mm thick stainless steel. As far as mast goes, i found this :http://www.atillakizavulinsaatltd.com/yelken_direkleri.htm İ will go with the EF-604 reference -2,95" x 4,37" (1,44lbs/feet) . İf you compare it with the DM 368 section referenced ın the plans (1,29lbs/feet)- 2,4" x 3,68" it is larger and heavier. 7,5 meters of the DM will come out 13,15 kgs while the EF604 will total 14,9kgs. That is 1,8kgs above plans specs. Not ideal but that is the best İ could find down here.

    ReplyDelete