Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cabin top trimming

As described in previous post, the cabin top interior gave me some work to finally make it look good. The reason is that because of all that plywood flexing and compound curves, the sides of the cabin top actually flared out and up. This behaviour of the plywood left me with a reasonable gap between deck panels and cabin top side panels which I partially filled with some wood.

After a long period of meditation inside of the cabin (does that count as building hours ?) the rest of the trimming was done with my Multimaster and a respectable amount of epoxy-silica putty.


A good amount of time later, the interior of the cabin finally looked the way I wanted !

All I have to do now is round off the edges and laminate with strips of fiberglass the cabin top sides to deck joints.
On the exterior of the cabin top to deck joints, I laminated kevlar for strength..................



...............and used a "house special" of West silica + filetting blend + fairing filler putty to achieve a smooth transition. It is now smooth to the hand and to the eyes.





I enjoy mixing up and combining different fillers. In this case I wanted the strength of silica with the smoothness of fairing filler with ...............Well heck ! I cant remember why i used the "brown stuff" again.


Oh yeah ! That's because I have a can full of it and I want to get rid of it but feel too bad to through it in the garbage. Please note however the nice brownish color it gives to the whole thing.... :):)



Thank God I will paint my boat top white !

4 comments:

  1. looking awesome...love the SS pieces!
    bd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Jerome, now you are starting to piss me off. When are you going to make a mistake on you boat and stop making Shazza look so bad ;). I think I'm almost as keen as you to see the finished product, you're attention to detail is fantastic. You have something to be extremely proud of there. (bugger, come on just a little mistake somewhere is not to much to ask for Shazza's benefit is it?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys so much for all the nice comments !
    Josh, İ made a major screw up but İ don't want to talk about it yet :) You 'll be the first to know though !

    ReplyDelete