Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mean Torpedo !

I finished shaping both halves using just one set of templates.


I cutted out 19 paper templates (keep in mind the middle one is doubled) which were used to cut a total of 40 sections, one at a time. Sounds really time taking but it is not all that bad. I would add it is a pretty good therapy on a hot Turkish night after a stressfull day at work....





On this picture you can clearly count the 20 sections and notice how the first 4 are half the thickness (2,5 cm) of all the others (5cm).

Again, if you need help on the bulb construction, please refer to Kevin's post "Kell Bulbs...Info and how to's" on the i550.org forum. You need to be a registered member to access the forum though. You will find everything you need in that thread, including a .pdf drawing with the 19 contour lines. Just read it over and over ! The reason why this bulb end up having 20 sections thing was not so easy for me to understand....
I posted a zipped xcel file on the forum with an easy to understand drawing. It is important to keep in mind that for the first half of the bulb the lines are on the AFT face of each section, while for the last half of the bulb the lines are on the FWD faces of each section. If you follow this rule you will understand why the middle section is doubled up and therefore why you end up with 20 sections.

I will sand it down and fair it if necessary. Before fairing though ,I have tested epoxi on a little pink foam leftover and it works fine. I was a little afraid that it could melt it down like some of the glues I tried on first. Even the traditional white carpenter glue did somewhat melt the foam. But not epoxi....Go figure

1 comment:

  1. Jerome, It's looking great. Always great to see your progress. It's hot here in Illinois lately too. I can only imagine what it's like in your part of the world.

    On the fairing of your plug keep in mind how you are going to cast the bulb. I spent tons of effort fairing a plug that ended up being destroyed when I removed it from the plaster mold which wasn't perfect. I then had to fair the finished bulb. I think back yard casting equals more fairing. I think Chad just wrapped his in plastic wrap and made his plaster molds from that.

    Cheers. Kevin.

    ReplyDelete