Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bunks time

Also worked on the bunks.

The pretty interesting thing about those bunks is that they were the first pieces I cutted out of the plywood sheets I had bought when I started building the boat back in February.

The reason I started with those pieces is that was I wanted to get used to my powertools cutting something rather simple. The bunks seamed to be a good option. They are non structural parts and do not have any major function except laying on top of the hull stringers. Precision cut on those parts is not that much important since they will be hidden inside the cabin or underneath the cockpit sole.





















So in other words it does not really matters if they do not come out 100%.


Well , to my utmost surprise they pretty much fitted right in ! That confirmed me 2 things : 1/my hull is symetrical and pretty much according to plan. 2/although my first cuts using the circular saw were not all that great, they were not too bad either.




All was need was trimming to allow for the frames to fit in. It is a time consuming task since you have to place the bunks in, see and mark what needs to be trimmed, take them out, trim, place them back in, see what needs to be trimmed.......and again, and again.
You will go over this process quite a few time to get it right but it is rather an enjoyable task.
On the pictures the bunks are placed but not yet laminated. I will do this later since, at least for the forward ones, i need to finish the keel box first.






For the first time builder like myself, here is a piece of advice :
when you start your build, dont go over excited and start out by cutting hull panels or frames. Yes they are really nice parts that give you a clear sense that you are building a boat, but start out with something easier if you dont have much experience cutting wood or using power tools .
I suggest you cut out your bunkers before anything. They are easy to cut, not too relevant to the built so you can afford not being super precise, and will give you a nice training for the larger and more sensitive parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment