Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Keel Odyssey 3

.....and than came the primer......... Well, whoever reads the i550 forum knows what happened to me : I had the toughest time with the PreKote primer.
Hey, the stuff is great I am sure , but it is not supposed to be applied onto epoxi surfaces.....And than it also needs to be thin .... and of course I did not know any of that stuff before...!


So I did it all wrong and the first coat of primer took forever to dry. The pros who advised me on what to do thought about amine blush problem but thank to the 'Angel Guard 'of first time builders, my problem was mainly due to a thicker than normal layer.


It ended up drying eventually and I sanded it, applied a second layer and sanded it, and a third layer, which by that time was correctly thinned. What a difference ! Went on much better, was smooth as a baby's butt and sanded like a dream.

By the way, I have to mention the really outstanding customer service I got from Jay from Interlux. I send the company a note to describe my misery and Jay immediately replied with some sound advice. Really felt good not to be left alone by the company who manufactures the product. They know their stuff and they are here to help builders. Thumbs up to them !


So after all I got my keel primed and sanded allright.















I was happy with the primed surface therefore I decided to apply the first coat of Brightside, properly thinned to 10%. It is a beautifull product and applies really easily. When I came back the next morning to see how that first coat was looking I was really surprised with how smooth and shinny that Brightside looks. It is not a 2 part paint but it does the job well.

I sanded that first coat and applied a second one. The end result was of course even better than before.





















So I still have to apply at least another coat but I will leave that for later, mainly after I get the bulb molded and fixed.

Right now the keel is good enough for me to do the keel sleeve...Ahhh! Took me forever to get here.....I feel I am not too far from closing that keel box :)

No comments:

Post a Comment