Thursday, April 15, 2010

keel box area reinforcement

Time to place some reinforcements around the keel box area. The sides of the keel box ,by the way, are cutted , laminated and ready to be placed in the boat. The only problem is that I have not finished the Monster Oak keel and have been dreaming about going with an aluminium extruded profile made by Krona Boats (more on that on the forum). So the keel box itself is postponned for now.

I have measured a zillion time to make sure I had all the space needed between f.124 and f.110, and then went for it and reinforced the whole thing:

-on the fwd face of 110, I placed a long piece of ply at the bottom of the frame going from hull side to hull side. It actually looks just like the original f110, but it is actually a reinforcement glued on the back of f110 extended cockpit version



















-on the rear face of 110, that is in between 110 and124 right where the keel box will be, I added another reinforcement. It is a simple rectangle that fits right in the middle of the bunker cuttouts all the way up to cockpit floor level. My 14 inches between 110 and 124 are still good ..so no panic.





















-on the aft face of 124, I placed another similar rectangle reinforcement.





So basically now at keel box area f110 is 3/4 inches thick and f124 is 1/2. Should be strong enough. By the way, once again thanks Kevin and Tim R for helping me understand how I should reinforce that area.

1 comment: